To access your virtual machine:
Double click on the VMWare icon on your desktop. Note: If you do not have this icon, you can install access, see the instructions here.
- Next double click on the cloud icon. You will be prompted to enter your log-in information (included in the email that was sent to you originally). Make sure you put pcqb\ before the user name.
- Double click on the computer icon. Your virtual computer will load.
Virtual Machine Basics
The blue bar at the top of the main screen is how you control your virtual machine.
Go to Preferences under VMWare Horizon Client to either have the blue bar visible all the time, or hidden until you move your mouse to the top of the screen.
If you ever need to switch between your virtual computer and local computer, click Window, Minimize on the blue bar.
How to Wake your Sleeping Computer
If you are away from your desk for a period of time, your virtual machine will fall asleep. Your local computer may also fall asleep, depending on your settings.
- Move your mouse or hit a key to wake the computer. Log in to your local computer if necessary. This will bring you to a Ctrl Alt Delete screen for your virtual machine:
- Move your mouse to the top of your screen until you get the VMWare bar to show up.
- Click on the icon for Send Ctrl Alt Delete
- Click on your user and enter your password
How to Exit Out of QuickBooks Correctly
When you are done using QuickBooks, be sure to shut down properly.
- Click the File menu, Close Company/Log Off.
- Wait until you see No Company Open screen.
- Then click File, Exit
Never click on the X in the right hand corner to exit out of QuickBooks, as this may corrupt your company file.
Depending on the way your printer is configured you may see your printers show up automatically (such as network or wireless printers) or you may have to manually bring them into the virtual machine.
- If your printer is not automatically showing up, move your mouse up to the top of the screen to get the blue bar to show up. Click on the icon for USB.
- You will see a list of items with your printer being one of them. Click on the printer and it will be pulled over to the virtual machine.
- If you want your printers to be attached to the virtual machine every day, go up to Connection, USB, and then choose Automatically connect at startup.
How to Shut Down
When you are done using your virtual machine you will need to shut down.
- Save your work and close all your programs.
- Click Start, Power, Shut Down
- The program will disconnect and bring you to your local computer.
Just like a regular computer, you’ll use My Documents as your personal place to store your files. Your QuickBooks files and POS files will be saved on the C drive, from a shortcut link on your desktop. These drives are always backed up. You’ll also see that you have access to your local machine files, so anything that is saved on the drives of your local computer is visible in the virtual computer. You’ll see a drive that corresponds to whatever your local computer is named.
If you plug anything into your local computer, like a flash drive, you’ll see it show up as a drive on the virtual machine. You can view or move those files to your virtual machine.
Virtual Machine Troubleshooting Steps to Try Before Submitting a Ticket:
Try these tips before submitting a ticket:
- Shut down your virtual machineif you are having computer problems, then log back into the system.
- If you receive an error when trying to get on your virtual machine, check your internet connection first to make sure you have internet.
- If you still can’t get on the virtual machine or receive an error when trying to log in, right click on the computer icon (after you have entered your password to log in) and select restart desktop. Wait a few minutes, then log back into the system.